Friday, August 7, 2015

Colorful Sketch Dump

IMG_2427 IMG_2431 IMG_2433 IMG_2442
I've been trying to sketch more. These are from one of my larger sketch books. I also really want to work on capturing people's forms and liveliness more. I always wish I could capture the particular essence of a person. But I do find these bust sketches to be quite beautiful themselves.
Working from images, be they paintings or photographs, is a way that I've been honing my skills. I find that I'm starting to see the nuances of layered colors that can really make a painting seem better than my sketches. I've also worked to begin to stretch myself to layer colors, to take risks while coloring an image.
IMG_1553
I've been working a lot with Copic markers. I want to do a few colored pencil drawings of skin tones. I find that creating a flat field of color can be quite difficult for me. That's both a technical skill and an issue of the media that I use (both paper and pencil). Still, I know that I need to really try new things.
I also think that I may try to paint one or more of these portraits. I've realized that preparatory work can make a real difference in the quality of the final piece. Practice makes perfect.
As you can see on the last sketch and the notes I made, I have been trying to work out those things that I need to work on and study.

No comments :

Post a Comment